My favorite meal of the day is without a doubt breakfast. I rarely skip it and when I do, it always tends to mess up my eating later in the day so I try to have something, even if it’s small. Lately I’ve been leaving the house by 6:30am to get to the studio by 7:30am and I don’t have much of anything to eat at home, so when I get to work I’m hungry. Lucky for me I can bake some breakfast muffins, eat one, and then share the rest with customers.
Lately, I’ve been baking these breakfast cookies that are chock-full of everything healthy. I used some left over cooked quinoa-millet-brown rice which you can’t really see once the batter is all mixed, but they add flavor, nutritious bulk, and some chewiness. There’s also coconut oil, cranberries, walnuts, oatmeal…. all the good stuff. These guys are yummy~! Filling, wholesome, and not too sweet at all.
Even though I like calling them “cookies,” they’re a bit like scones (although softer), and are practically guilt-free. Eating one of these breakfast cookies will make you feel energized and ready to conquer your entire to-do list. One of my friends called them ‘Power-Up Cookies’ because after eating one he suddenly got all this strength to get things done. Get pumped!
Power-Up! Breakfast Cookies
160g whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
90g cooked quinoa, millet, brown rice mixture
50g organic cane sugar
50g organic soy milk
40g coconut oil
30g agave syrup
14g ground flax seed
30g dried cranberries
30g chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350F or 170C.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
3. In a separate bowl, add all the wet ingredients, including the flax seed and quinoa. Whisk until everything is well mixed.
4. Combine the wet with the dry, and add the oatmeal, walnuts, and cranberries. The mixture will be thick and sturdy, but not dry.
5. Scoop large spoonfuls of the dough onto a cookie sheet and shape/flatten slightly.
6. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until tops and bottoms are slightly browned, and the cookies feel firm.
I love hearing feedback from you guys! Feel free to leave a comment by clicking here~~ :)